Friday, August 12, 2011

Catherine [PS3/XBOX360] Review


Alright as title says, this is a review, but putting that aside first, I would like to say, I am not posting this before atvrcr just to be the ass that I might want to be saying "FINISHED BEFORE ATVRCR" just for fun. Anyways, I have been saving up for quite a few games, thus I was not able to buy the deluxe edition that atvrcrc did sadly, but I did purchase the OST CD + art book. For all you people reading this and might be interested in getting what I got, the OST CD only has 11 tracks of the main BGM, but not all, and the art book, well I'll let you find out yourself I guess.

 This game is about a man Vincent, aged 32, that has a girlfriend called Katherine, which has been his girlfriend for 10(?) years. As Katherine pushes onto Vincent to get married and seal the deal, Vincent feels uneasy and feels that things should stay as it is... Not too long after, another girl enters Vincent's life, This time being called Catherine, how will things work out for Vincent? I'll leave you to find that out.


Alright down to the knitty gritty, this game consists of around 9 days for one play through (for all modes, Easy, Normal and Hard). I'm actually pretty confident in my memory for once, thus I shall leave it at 9. Each day, you would be set to climb up a few stages, usually 2-3 at the first 5 or so stages. At the last stage of the nightmare for that day, you will transit into a cut scene as the story still continues. In between the floors, you would are allowed to save, buy items (doing so will not allow you to get a gold trophy.), talk to other people, learn new climbing techniques, and lastly you will have to enter a confessional, in which they will ask you a question you will need to answer, and upon what you answer, your "karma gauge" is what I call it would tilt to either the red or blue side. I'm not really sure what it's called again, we should just wait for atvrcr to come out with it I guess :D

 After the cut scenes after each nightmare, you will enter a bar called "Stray Sheep" in which you can go to the juke box to choose a bgm (I feel great so i'll give you guys something if you didn't know, the first time you play, go to the juke box and click a song, you get a trophy :DD). Other than that, you will be able to drink alcohol, the more Vincent( the main character ) is drunk, you will be able to move faster in the nightmare climbing stages. You are also able to walk around and talk to other people, and they will sometimes ask you questions that will affect what ending you will get upon what you answer, an obviously you would be able to save, but not like most games, you don't click start to save, on the contrary, for PS3 you click triangle and you use your cellphone to save, now isn't that unique? From the cellphone you can also check what trophies you got for each stage (if you get a gold for all stages, if you want to replay the game on the same mode you can skip the stages!), and you can also reply the texts from either "K"atherine or "C"atherine, your answers will depend which you end up with, so pick carefully for your first go.

Lastly, for the bar, you are able to go inside the toilet to check pictures that you might not be able to see in the open, and wash your face. ALSO not to forget, there is the GOD DAMNED Rappunzel game machine, in which you have to clear 128 stages for a two trophies if my memory serves me right. I hope it does. Each stage there are different block attributes, and no I won't spoil you on that, so good luck climbing!

In my opinion, this game is a game in which you have to either have fast reflexes to find a way to climb up really fast, or have the wits to find a way to get you up. If you are too slow, the blocks that are falling from the bottom are going to fall to the point you fall with it and you will be sitting in front of you screen looking at the message "LOVE IS OVER". If you reach the point when you see it too many times, you might get pissed, but that's life I guess, you need to stick at it to see the rewarding endings! This game is also quite lengthy on the other modes, which I won't go into detail since it might lead to spoilers. Lastly there is a multiplayer mode, in which you are able to have a race up to the finish block with your friend or who ever it is, or it's a race to see who dies first  (YES YOU CAN KNOCK THEM OFF AND YOU CAN DO STUFF TO KILL THEM TO WIN!)

I understand this is quite long so I'm going to be nice
 TL:DR - 9 days , climb stages up, challenging as it goes along, make choices wisely and lastly keep at it to get your ending you want.

Game Rating : 8.8/10 Yes, I do know what I'm rating it here, I think I rated it fairly high as I really liked the endings, I would recommend this game to people that don't get pissed over losing tons, and also are willing to stick to it for the end game reward, but unfortunately, being the sore loser and hating losing I have decided to give it this rating.  Story wise, I would have probably rated it 10.



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU WANT TO HEAR- - - - - - - - - - -  - - - -






























Alright, the extra game modes are called "Babel" and "Colosseum", The babel being an extra mode of climbing, in which you have to climb up 4 stages, called Altar (Stage 1) , Menhir (I think you get the sequence), Obelisk and lastly Axis Mundi. These stages are supposedly a lot more challenging than the story mode, in which I agree for some of them, I would like to add that if you play this on pair mode it is significantly easier, especially since the steps needed to climb is alot less. The other mode is pretty much obvious from it's name, so i'll leave it to you to find out what it is if you don't know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Anime List Signatures of the Bloggers
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...