Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sayonara Borders!


Thanks for all the good times and for actually stocking many of the series I wanted over the years (unlike B&N), thanks for making worthwhile to shop at your stores and most of all thanks for sucking countless dollars out of my poor wallet. 

More after the break



As you may or may not have heard, Borders is closing all it's stores as early as this Friday, July 22nd 2011. While we all pretty much saw this coming it is devastating to manga and book readers alike. What this means is that companies have even fewer outlets to release their books through, which means less money for said companies. B&N will continue to live on but they don't always carry everything, in fact their stock is usually a lot worse than Borders was. Well there's always Amazon, you can get everything there! True but not everyone has credit cards and (especially in the manga community) many readers are minors and cant order online. Of course they could ask their parents, but there are a lot of parent who would never buy their kids this (as they would put it) cartoon book with half naked girls. Oh well >.>

Back to Borders though.

I have shopped their for many many years and in fact I bought my first manga series there. I have always loved shopping there because of their rewards program, I can rack up points and use said points to get free manga at the end of the year. Hell I was around when they offered their special manga club thing, Buy 10 manga, get one free. I loved it. 

I will miss the fact that if they didn't have something in stock, they would order it for me and it would arrive quickly. I have waited over 6 weeks for B&N to order something for me before, and by that time I had ordered elsewhere.

What will I do now? Move on. Sure I'll be sad but I will continue to buy stuff from B&N, Amazon, and Rightstuf. To all the people who can't order online because of the lack of a credit card, go to your local walmart and pick yourself up a pre-paid debit card. 

Tl;dr I'll miss you.

My First manga purchase from them:



My Last:  




0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Anime List Signatures of the Bloggers
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...