Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My opinion of the Nintendo 3DS


    After searching around, I found a lot of websites that give the specs on the Nintendo 3DS but not too many that actually give a personal opinion about it. So, I'll attempt to convey my own opinion of the 3DS in this post.

    I myself have owned an original DS, and currently have a DS Lite. I don't own a DSi, but both my brother and sister have a DSi, so I can try and compare to that if I have to.

DIMENSIONS (when closed)
5.3 inches x 2.9 inches x 0.8 inches
    Sounds fine, sounds fine. Sure I can imaging how that looks, but really without a tape measure, I'm pretty lost. I saw the 3DS's during E3 on the television, and it looked to be a fair size.


WEIGHT
8 ounces
    Sounds fine I guess. I actually hate the way everything is going towards lightness. I like my electronic products to have substantial weight to them.


TOP SCREEN
3.52 inch widescreen display / 800x240 resolution (400 pixels for each eye during 3D gameplay)
    They say 800x240 resolution, but this is just annoying. Just because the games are in 3D, it doesn't magically make 400 more pixels appear. This can be said for any screen, as long as the person looking at it has at least 2 eyes...


BOTTOM SCREEN
3.02 inch touch-screen display / 320x240 resolution
    Not bad. As long as it beats the DS Lite's 256 x 192 resolution, I'll be happy.


CAMERAS
Three cameras, two on outer casing, one above top screen / 640x480 resolution (0.3 megapixel)
    It's cool that they're putting two cameras on the outside of the 3DS. This gives players one more way to have fun with the 3D features.


STORAGE MEDIUM
Cartridge slot for both 3DS and DS cards (3DS cards have a 2GB capacity "at launch", suggesting larger sizes to come) / SD memory card slot
    Another good thing. Giving the 3DS the ability to play DS games is very nice indeed. If only it could take the DS games and make them 3D xD.


WIRELESS
2.4ghz / 802.11 wi-fi / Can communicate with other consoles or internet when in sleep mode / wireless can be switched off to preserve battery life
    Very nice. The ability to communicate even while in sleep mode is sort of scary though, and at the same time, pretty awesome. I wonder if they'll have some way to alert the owner if another 3DS user comes within range or something.


CONTROLS / INPUT
Touch-screen / D-pad / 360-degree "Slide Pad" (the analog stick) / motion sensor / gyro sensor / 3D "depth slider" can reduce (or even disable) 3D effects in games
    The "Slide Pad" is going to add a lot of control, although it's going to be weird adjusting from the layout on the PSP. The ability to change the 3D effect is a splendid idea, because I'm sure there are people out there who want the games, but hate 3D. Although that is not me :D.


STYLUS
4-inch stylus (when full extended)

AUDIO
Stereo speakers (includes stereo headphone out jack)

BATTERY
Lithium ion battery (lifespan details TBA)
    Standard stuff here.

    So yes, odds are high that I'll be purchasing a Nintendo 3DS. I'm psyched for the graphics and the internet capabilities. Can't wait for the release! 

2 comments:

Post a Comment

My Anime List Signatures of the Bloggers
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...